Thursday, 28 June 2012
• Learn about tools you’ll need as a PC support technician.
• Learn how to develop a preventive maintenance plan and what to include in it.
• Learn how to work in a computer case.
• Learn what happens when you first turn on a PC before the OS is loaded.
• Learn how to approach and solve a PC problem.
• Learn how to troubleshoot a failed boot before the OS is loaded.
• Basic repair skills – Developing a maintenance plan – Implementing a maintenance plan – Working inside a computer case – Following the sequence of events that occur at startup
• Advanced repair skills – Using commonsense guidelines to solve problems – Interviewing a user – Determining if a problem occurs before or after boot – Troubleshooting and solving a problem of a failed boot 3
PC Support Technician Tools
• Help you maintain a computer
• Help you diagnose and repaircomputer problems
• Criteria for choosing tools: – Level of PC support you expect to provide – Amount of money you can spend• Some essential tools: – Ground bracelet, ground mat, or groundgloves – Torx screwdriver set – Recovery CD, DVD, or floppy disk for the target OS
• Store tools in toolbox for PC troubleshooting 4
• Used to boot a system
• Also used to repair and reinstall Windows
• Primary recovery CD sources – PC manufacturer (preferred) – Operating system distributor, such as Microsoft
• Some hard drives have a hidden recovery partition – A hidden partition can be used to reinstall Windows – A utility for creating recovery CDs may be provided – Access hidden utilities by pressing a Fn key at startup 6
Cleaning Pads and Solutions
• Various types are designed for specific uses
• Example: contact cleaner – Cleans contacts on expansion cards
• Warning: solutions may be flammable and/or toxic
• Sources of safety and emergency instructions: – Side of the can of solution – Material safety data sheet (MSDS)
• Adhere to safety procedures of your employer – Example: fill out an accident report (if required) 10
Post Diagnostic Cards
• Report computer errors and conflicts .
• How to use a POST diagnostic card: – Install card in an expansion slot on the motherboard – Attempt to boot your system – Record any error codes appearing in LED panel – Look up the entry associated with the error code.
• Examples of Post diagnostic cards: – PCI Error Testing/Debug Card by Winic Corporation – POST card V3 by Unicore Software, Inc. – Post Code Master by MSD, Inc. 12.
PC Preventive Maintenance
• Preventive maintenance reduces number of problems.
• Goals of preventive maintenance plans: – Prevent failures – Reduce repair costs – Reduce downtimes• Goal of disaster recovery plan: manage failures.
• Some causes of PC failure: heat, dust, spills, viruses.
PC is your Permanent Responsibility
• Tasks and procedures to prepare for troubleshooting – Keep good backups of data and system files – Document all setup changes, problems, and solutions – Protect the system against viruses and other attacks
• Always use a firewall (software or hardware barrier)
• Install and run antivirus software
• Keep Windows Updates current – Physically protect your equipment.
Preventive Maintenance Plan
• Plan based on history or pattern of malfunctions – Example: PCs in dusty areas need more maintenance.
• Goals common to maintenance plans – Extend the working life of a PC – Anticipate problems that could disrupt service – Ensure data is secure and backed up – Provide support to PC users.
• Basic steps involved in designing a plan – Define your overall goals – Incorporate procedures for achieving goals • Dealing with Dust.
• Dust accumulates in layers over components
• Two major problems due to dust blankets – PC components directly over heat – Cooling fans jam, also resulting in overheating.
• Maintenance task: remove the layer of dust.
• Two tools used to remove dust: – Antistatic vacuum – Compressed air .
Preparing a Computer for Shipping
• Adverse factors to consider: – Rough handling – Exposure to water, heat, and cold – Misplacement or theft of a computer.
• Some shipping guidelines to follow: – Backup the hard drive onto a backup medium – Remove inserted disks, tape cartridges, or CDs – Coil and secure all external cords – Separately wrap hardware components – Purchase insurance on the shipment.
Disposing of Used Equipment
• Various guidelines for disposing of equipment: – Manufacturer documentation – Local environmental regulators.
• Danger posed by monitors and power supplies – Residual charge in capacitors can cause shock – Modern devices discharge if unplugged for 60 minutes – Older devices may require discharge with a probe.
• Destroy secondary storage devices with sensitive data.
How to Work Inside a Computer
• Objective: dismantle a computer, put it back together.
• Some safety precautions to follow: – Make notes that will help you backtrack – Keep screws and spacers orderly – Do not stack boards on top of each other – Do not touch the chips on circuit boards – Do not use a graphite pencil to change DIP settings – Turn off the power, unplug and ground the computer – Do not remove covers of monitors or power supplies – Keep components away from hair and clothing .
• Build-up of charge due to absence of conductors.
• Electrostatic discharge (ESD) – Due to dissimilar electrical surfaces making contact – Only 10 volts of ESD can damage PC components – Walking across carpet generates up to 12,000 volts.
• Two types of damage: catastrophic and upset failure.
• Tool and methods for grounding yourself and the PC – Ground bracelet, ground mats, static shielding bags, antistatic gloves.
• If working inside a monitor, do not ground yourself.
A ground bracelet, which protects computer components from ESD, can clip to the side of the computer .
Steps to Take Apart a Computer
• Essential tools: – Ground bracelet – Phillips-head screwdriver – flathead screwdriver, paper, and pen• Follow safety precautions at all times.
• Summary of Steps 1 - 4 – 1. Enter CMOS and write down customized settings – 2. Power down the system, unplug all components – 3. Put the computer on a good-sized table – 4. Remove the cover of the PC 25.
. Steps to Take Apart a Computer
• Summary of steps 5 - 11 – 5. Diagram cable connections and switch settings – 6. Identify cables connecting drives to motherboard – 7. Remove the cables to all drives – 8. Remove the expansion cards – 9. Remove the motherboard (or drives) – 10. Remove the power supply from the case – 11. Remove each drive (if not already removed)
Put a Computer Back Together.
• 1. Install power supply, drives, motherboard, cards.
• 2. Connect all data and power cables.
• 3. Plug in the keyboard, monitor, and mouse.
• 4. Ask an instructor to check the work (if in a classroom).
• 5. Turn on the power and check PC functions.
Understanding the Boot Process
• Key learning objectives – Know how to boot a PC – Understand what happens first when a PC is turned on – Understand how an operating system is loaded.
Booting a Computer
• Process that drives a computer to a working state
• Hard (cold) boot: turn the power switch on
• Soft (warm) boot: allow the OS to reboot
• How to soft boot Windows XP – Click Start – Click Turn Off Computer – Click Restart
Hard Boot and a Soft Boot
• Hard boots are more stressful on machines – Power surges through the system when the PC is turned on.
• Reasons to choose a soft boot over hard boot – Less stressful on the machine – Faster due to skipping initial steps.
• Some computers have a soft and hard power switch – Soft power switch shuts down and restarts Windows – Hard power switch cuts power and restarts machine.
• Boot The startup BIOS gets a system up and running.
• Four phases of the boot process: – BIOS runs the POST and assigns system resources.
• POST: power-on self test – BIOS searches for and loads an OS – OS configures system and completes its own loading – Application software is loaded and executed.
Boot Step 1: The ROM BIOS startup program surveys hardware resources and needs andassigns system resources to satisfy those needs.
Changing the Boot Sequence
• BIOS looks to CMOS RAM to locate the OS.
• Boot sequence: order of drives checked for an OS.
• Change boot sequence using CMOS setup utilities.
• Access CMOS setup utilities when PC is turned on – Example: press F8 before the Windows screen appears.
How to Troubleshoot a PC Problem
• Assume the attitude of an investigator.
• Do not compound the problem by your own actions.
• Look at the problem as a learning opportunity.
• Ask questions until you understand the problem.
• Believe that you can solve the problem.
Steps to Solving a PC Problem
• Key advice: – Ask good questions – Document the process.
• Four-step problem solving process: – Step 1: Interview the user – Step 2: Back up data – Step 3: Solve the problem – Step 4: Verify the fix and document the solution.
Troubleshooting a Failed Boot
• It takes time to acquire troubleshooting skills.
• Hands-on training: troubleshooting a failed boot.
My Computer Won’t Boot.
• First step: maintain your calm.
• Second step: develop a game plan.
• Plan is driven by a set of yes-no questions Example: Does the PC boot properly?
• If no, troubleshooter is directed to another question .
• If yes, troubleshooter is directed to stop.
Major Subsystems Used For Booting
• Categories of troubleshooting steps– The electrical subsystem – Essential hardware devices.
• The motherboard, memory, and the CPU – Video – Reading from the hard drive.
• Key aides: tables identifying error codes.
• Some PC repair tools: recovery CDs, screwdrivers, POST, cleaning pads and solutions, diagnostic cards
• Preventive maintenance plans extend the life of a PC
• Follow an organization’s preventive maintenance plan, or develop one if it does not exist
• Computers present chemical and electrical hazards
• Protect components in case from ESD by grounding yourself and the PC
Assembling and reassembling a PC prepares the technician for actual repair work
• Startup BIOS controls when the boot process begins
• Four step boot process: POST, loading the OS, OS initializing itself, loading and executing applications
• Expert troubleshooters ask good questions• Before tackling a problem, develop a game plan.
Friday, 22 June 2012
Dell has apparently grown so much that you will hardly find a place in the computer age, which is devoid of it. Dell computer, printer and a laptop has become fashionable for students and professionals. People of all age groups make use of Dell technology to meet their expectations and the ultimate dream. Dell has a significant tie-up with software vendors and service providers such as Microsoft, Triple Play services and other Flight Options, and how it explores its technology to new highways.
FixSmith is a dedicated wing to provide Computer support services qualified for home users as well as small business to serve the purpose in a well managed and organized. Each of the portals supports different sub-categories such as Dell driver compatibility, software issue, peripheral support etc. Access to quick help service through different modes like phone call, Live chat etc. . With the help of Our support team you can get easy solution for every Dell computer issue. For an example, the any issue regarding Windows 7, you can get help to upgrade your computer to Windows 7 and fix a lot of problems with our Tech support guy.
Evaluation of the market share Dell’s third-party service providers are emphasis on the brand. You can get technical assistance Dell computers, Dell laptop, printer from any third part computer support service providers. In general, need support all Windows OS life cycle, software issue at any time. But its your job to find out the best
Dell Computer Support provider, who can able to give you the best solutions. As well as you need to know step by step because if the issue will persist in future you can resolve it yourself. Installing and configuring e-mail address, and resolve problems with browser, Windows Media Player, Windows Mail etc. are fairly easy if you have the knowledge.
However, if you do not feel easy with Windows troubleshooting, router configuration, or other, you can request help by phone or email, or live chat. You can Mail your problems at firstname.lastname@example.org or through live chat or call to toll free number +1-877-255-3353. Our technicians can request remote access system, and you can reinstall and activate Windows or do other solutions that you want to leave behind your Dell computer running smoothly and in a state with no errors. Our technicians can also help recover data and restore the system in extreme conditions.
Through the year, the requirement of papers and piles of files has been replaced by computers. Now a days, all the business organizations depend on computers for their daily paper works. There are huge important data about the business organizations stored in computers and loss of any data will be very crucial of the companies. Not only that, in the present era, everybody uses this classy machine for their personal use also. So, if anyone tries to progress his/her business in the USA, then it is required to call an Online Computer Technical Support Services in USA. There are several issues in computers that may crash the machine and cause to hamper the the development of business. To solve this kind of problems in remote computers, it is necessary to contact with a certified, experienced technician / technicians to resolve all kinds of issues irrespective of the complexity of the problems at within the budget of the customers.
Now, it is important to consider the factors on which the business holders or general people will call the best Computer Support Service provider in the USA. It will be being discussed one by one:
1) A proper research work is required on the computer support service providers. There are so many companies in the USA but all of them are not authentic. Limit the search within the USA. So before calling any service providers it is a very important task to do an in-depth research on those companies. Proper channel reference is the best way regarding the matter.
2) Go through the company profile properly from the companies’ website. It will be very helpful to get an idea about the professional staff strength, certification and experience of them.
3) It is also important to know the specific requirements and make a list of them before searching for a good USA Computer Support Services. If anyone decides to take services for a long time, they can go for a long term computer service provider. Some service provider companies give online support on “pay per call” basis and some of them fix their charges on per hour or monthly or quarterly basis.
Prevention is always better than cure. A crash in the computer may cause a company big trouble. So it is very important decision to tie up with the best Online Computer Support Service providers in the USA to avoid any kinds of unexpected circumstances.